Thursday, July 11, 2013

Hunting at Nariel


Hi all,

Just thought I'd share my latest hunting weekend.

Went out to Nariel Station near St George, a 'pay to hunt' property but one I was keen to look over. Great people who run it, Kelli and Bruce.

I grew up in Tassie (don't hold it against me) and did lots of hunting (rifle) down there but being pretty new to QLD I don't have the network of properties I can access that I did down South. So pay to hunt isn't a bad option and for a great weekend away it's pretty reasonable.

I had 3 mates with me who had never been bow hunting before and for me it was the first time hunting with my compound bow, having previously hunted with a recurve.

We had a hard time with the pigs, finding a few but not managing to take any. We did manage to find some decent mobs of goats after a bit of scouting around the 15,000 acre property a bit. All 3 of my mates managed to get their first goats and learned the excitement and challenges of stalking to within bow range.

I managed a couple of meat goats, one of which came after a really tough stalk on a mob in the middle of a pretty open field. A 30m belly crawl and some careful timing put me behind the only cover within shooting range with a goat and a tick on my neck to show for it!

I also managed to slice my finger open with some careless knife work. A late Sunday evening stop over in Goondiwindi Hospital saw me collect 7 stitches and some antibiotics for my lapse.

A great weekend. Still haven't managed my first pig though.















Cheers, Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment